Friday, August 13, 2010

Need More Sleep

I need to get more sleep.  Seriously, this week I have only been getting about 5 - 7 hours of sleep a night.  Considering that amount of training I am doing (~2 hours a day), I should be getting at least eight hours a night.  Last night I had all the right intentions of getting to bed by 9:30PM knowing that I had to get up at 4:20AM for my swim workout at HealthQuest.  Well, my wife and I were almost done paining the trim and bottom half of my daughters bedroom, I told her that I was going to clean up my stuff and hit the hay.  After about ten minutes I realized that I should just suck it up and help her finish the job.  Next thing I know it is after 11:00PM and I am kicking myself for staying up so late.  Damn!

When that alarm went off this morning I was so beat.  The entire drive to the pool I was slapping myself in the face to stay awake.  I was in slow motion for a good part of my swim workout.  I know that I am going to be hurting during my run this afternoon.  Why do I do this to myself?  I really need to stop.

Yesterday
I was up at 5:15AM and went down to the basement and put in an hour on the bike trainer while watching the 2001 Ironman World Championships.  The ride was less than spectacular, but the race was awesome.  The fact that Tim DeBoom, an American, won it only about a month after 9/11 was so amazing.  I was getting goose bumps riding while I was riding.   

I decided that I would go swimming after work at Fanny Chapman, not thinking that it would be raining or a threat of a thunderstorm.  Well, it was pouring on the drive home and they kept saying on the news that there was going to be bad storms.  That effectively ended my hopes of swimming for the night.  Of course the rain eased up and the storms never came.  I was kicking myself for not going.  I then tortured myself by going to a soccer coaches meeting at 7:00PM, so boring and it was the same information that I have heard the past three years. 

Then it was time for painting.  I hate painting....but as my wife said, it had to be done.  I am just glad that we have two of the upstairs rooms totally done....and they are the biggest rooms as well.  Just one bedroom left, the bathroom door and the hallway.

Today
I was up at friggin 4:30AM....I procrastinated getting out of bed for about five minutes.  I was in the water by 5:20AM and did my swim work out:

300m warm-up, 8 x 50m drills, 12 x 100m, 8 x 50m drills, 200m cool down

It was a "short" day, only 2,500m as opposed to 3,000.  I think there was a typo in my plan, but I wasn't going to complain.  I have no idea how long it took me.

I headed out at lunch to get my run workout in.  I gave my friend Scott a shout and was able to run the first two mile with him at a relatively easy pace, ~9:00/mile (Scott is training for the NYC  Marathon).  After he peeled off it was just me and I quickened my pace a bit, preparing myself for the 10 minutes of hell that was awaiting me at 45 minutes.  I had to do 10 minutes in Zone 4, and I wasn't looking foward to it.  I watch my Garmin seem to speed up at the time drew closer and then, BAM!  I was off.  Honestly it didn't feel all that bad.  I stayed in the right zone and my pace was around 7:13/mile.  Dang, I actually felt really good!  The one thing I have going for me was that it was only around 80F.  Finally, cool day for running.  Total run was around 7.2 miles in an hour.  A great work out for me!

Have a great day!  Adios.

No comments: