Monday, August 9, 2010

Birthday Weekend

I just realized that it has been more than a few days since I last wrote on this here blog.  Dang, I must have been busy.....actually I was.  I had off from work last Thursday and Friday and spent it hanging out with my daughters since they were all done with camp (and my wife had to work).  The weekend was spent at the shore and there was a lot of training to be done...plus I celebrated my....oh geez....39th birthday.  That is the first time that I have written that down and I don't like the looks of it.  Anyhow, here is a recap of the past four or five days:

Thursday
Up early and in the basement to do my hour ride.  Whew it was a bitch.  I am starting to learn how to ride on a trainer....no easy spinning unless recovering, try to get the heart rate up and keep the cadence up as well.  I was soaked after the hour.  Good workout!

The rest of the day it was all Daddy and Daughters.  We went to Ringing Rock County Park, banged on some rocks until the girls got bored, did some hiking until the girls go tired, saw a snake (I hate snakes),  and then ate some lunch picnic-style.  We had a good time. 

From there we went home, got out bathing suits on and headed over to the pool.  My wife met us over there around 5:30PM and we accomplished some milestones.  First, my oldest daughter finally dove off of the one meter diving board at the pool (after one belly flop)!!!  Second, my youngest daughter finally put her entire head under water....and is swimming under water as well!!!  It was a monumental day for both girls in our house.

I finished up the night by swimming 2.000 yards...was supposed to be 3,000 yds, but I had to cut it short and get home.

Friday
Wow, I was tired and I slept in.  I only managed a 30 minute run....that was it all day.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to get a swim in, just didn't have the time to do it.  It was another Daddy & Daughter day, which started with dropping my wife off at work, then me cutting the lawn.  After that we rushed over to the Bucks County Playhouse to see "Aladdin", which was performed only by children.  The girls really liked that...and of course lunch at McDonalds that followed (I could have done without that).  The rest of the day was spent running around doing errands and getting ready for our weekend at the shore.  We finally made if down there around 5:45PM.

Saturday - MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
I was up at 4:30AM and after a bit of putzing around the house I was out on my ride by 5:20AM.  I headed north from Lavallette pretty much staying within sight of the ocean where ever possible.  I was moving at a pretty good pace, right at 20 MPH and feeling good.  I did have one issue, managed to get stuck at a draw bridge for about 10 minutes which stunk.

After that it was pretty smooth sailing all the way up to Sandy Hook, NJ, 40 miles away from where I started.  The weather was good, I felt great and I couldn't think of a better way to start my birthday.  After a brief photo op of the lighthouse, I was back in the saddle and on my way home....eager to see my family! 


Not much to report other than there were no real incidents (one idiot almost hit me when pulling into a parking space, but no harm done).  Ride stats:  80.13 miles, 4:01:13, 19.9 MPH (average), 91.5 RPM (average)

Immediately after my ride I went out for a 30 minute run.  I was surprised at how good my legs felt considering the four hour ride I just endured.  I ran the Lavallette boardwalk plus a little, then headed back to my 'rents.  Run stats:  3.75 miles, 30:00, 8:01/mile pace

The remainder of the day was spent up at the beach with the family.  It was a really good day, a fun day, a happy day.  We wrapped up the night with a great steak dinner, ice cream cake and presents!  My wife got me a Fuel Belt which I desperately needed, along with Shamwow (which my daughters insisted she must get me...I love the spokesman Vince) and some other great things.  My 'rents were way too generous.  It was a great day. 

Sunday
I slept in a bit, getting up at 5:30AM.  I was out the door riding by 6:00AM, doing a 45 minute ride, just getting my heart rate up to Zone 2 and keeping my cadence at 100+ RPMs (~13 miles in 45 minutes).  I followed the ride with a 10.85 mile run south, through Ortley Beach, Seaside Heights and Seaside Park.  I felt surprisingly good and actually had to reel myself in a bit to keep my heart rate in Zone 2.  Run stats:  10.85 miles, 1:31:15, 8:24/mile (average)

After a shower a hearty breakfast, it was up to the beach.  I spend pretty much all of my day helping my oldest daughter learn to skim board....seriously for like three hours she practiced.  Yes, she is just the slightest bit determined to learn how.  By the end of the day she was doing great, so proud of her.  I was nice to spend the day with my family, we had a good time. 

Today
Rest day today....thank God!!!  I was a bit sore when I woke up this morning, but not too bad.  The girls are at my 'rents for the week which means me and my wife will be doing some painting this week, ugh, not looking forward to it.  That is it for now, it should be a good week of training for me as I don't have to worry about too many schedules.  Peace out!

No comments: