Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Good Day....Flights Booked for Arizona

What a load off of my mind....my flight and the rest of my family's flights have been booked as of about 11:00AM today.  I have to give me wife some serious props as she has been checking on flight for the better part of the past two weeks, constantly checking to see if the cost of the flights would come down.  Well, today it paid off and round trip airfare from Newark to Phoenix on Continental finally dropped, so much so that we were able to use points/miles to get not one but TWO tickets.  Partner that with the drop in price from ~$400/ticket down to under $340/ticket and we are looking at my wife saving us a significant chunk of change.  So to my wife, GREAT JOB, TREMENDOUS JOB, STELLAR JOB!!! 

It feels so good knowing that we have that the flights out of the way and don't have to keep worrying about it.  Now I can focus on the task at hand which is getting training, training and more training.

Tuesday
Whew, I slept in a bit, till about 6:00AM and didn't have a workout in the morning.  I just got up and went to work.  I toyed with the idea of doing my run workout in the morning but thought getting a good nights sleep would be more beneficial.  Flash forward to 11:45AM and sleeping was looking like a bad idea as the temps were at 90F+ and the humidity so high.  I ran the beginning of my hour run with my work friend Scott, we both bitched to each other about work, family and anything else that came to mind.  It was a good time.  He bolted after two miles and I soldiered on, preparing myself for the speed work I had before me (5 x 3 minutes @ 1 min jog).  That 20 minutes of speed work absolutely killed me, I was so tired and so wished I had done it at 5:30AM when it was cooler out.  Ah, I am stronger for it, right?  All in all I was happy with my run and was even more thrilled to take a nice cold shower afterwards.  Run stats:  1:00:15, 7.2 miles

Following work I went to our pool club to do my swim workout, a nice outdoor 25 yd pool that is usually empty and can only be used by adults.  It was no different last night, only two other people swimming there is was perfect.  I wish I could say that my swimming was perfect, ugh, I am so not a good swimmer.  Regardless, I did my prescribed session (500yd warm up, 8 x 50 drills, 200-300-400-500yd @45 sec, 8 x 50, 300yd cool down), and I felt pretty good doing it.  I was able to maintain an average of about 1:45/100yds for the main set which I will definitely take...of course I wish I were faster, but heck don't we all wish that?  Swim stats:  3,000 yds, 53:00

I was starving after the swim and I came home to pasta and bread, courtesy of my awesome wife.  I ate so much.  Then it was up to our bedroom to paint some more. 

Today
I was up and out of bed at 5:20AM, a tad later than I wanted, but no worries.  Headed to the basement to get in my 45 minute session on the trainer while watching the 2005 Ironman World Championships.  The ride was atrocious, I was just not feeling it and I was tired.  I pedaled and pedaled until I was done, then ran upstairs, put my running shoes on and did a 30 minute Zone 2 run.  Again, just didn't feel that great, maybe it was the heat or the humidity, I really don't know.  I think I averaged around 8:15/mile for the run, not a stellar effort.

Tonight is looking like another full night of painting (my oldest daughters room) which I LOVE (not really).  My wife has promised me that we can get ice cream when we are done, at least it is some sort of motivation to get the job done.  Have a great day out there!

No comments: