Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Running, , Biking, Swimming & Rock Climbing....and Crayola

Having a vacation from work is awesome.  Granted my vacation is really a stay-cation, but not being at work is the key.  I have had off since Monday and me and the family are making the most of our time together.  We have been doing quite a bit, doing our best to keep the girls busy and not bored.  Here is what has been going on:

Tuesday
Finally another day to "sleep in" until 7:00AM.  I forgot what it was like to sleep so "late".  Yeah, I am living it up.  Anyway, I decided that I should probably get my run in early and before the rains came, so I headed out around 9:00AM (my lovely wife and daughters headed out to go shopping...darn, I really would have liked to have gone with them).  I was still the tiniest bit sore from last weeks training but a nice hour run would get rid of that.  I felt pretty good and opted for a mostly uphill first half of the run so that I could cruise home on the back end.  I had to insert 5 x 1 minute pick-ups around 10 minutes in....actually ended up being 20 minutes in b/c I forgot.  The 20 minutes in actually worked better since it was all slight uphill grade which really made me work.  The end of the run was a nice cruise home where I was able to quicken my pace and bring my average run pace down below 8:00/mile.  Run stats:  7.53 miles, 1:00:03, 7:58/mile pace

Immediately after my run I needed to get my swim in because the rain was threatening, so off to Fanny Chapman I went.  Holy cow it was cold!  The air temp was around 69F and the water temp was maybe 75F...very different from what I have been swimming in lately.  Here is my swim workout:

2,700 yd = 500yd WU, 8 x 50yd drills, 200-300-400-500yd @45 sec, 400 CD 

I cut my swim short by about 300 yds because I was freezing and my head was feeling all wacky.  I thought it best for me to get out of the pool.  Quick note:  I did feel really go for the main set averaging 1:45/100yd for every single set.  Progress is being made.

After all of that it was a quick lunch then to go rock climbing with my oldest daughter at the Doylestown Rock Gym.  We had so much fun!  She was awesome at rock climbing, honestly, she was really, really good, and she just kept going and going.  I basically had to drag her out of the gym after and hour and 45 minutes.  I can't wait to go back there with her.

Today
I was up at 6:30AM to get my BRICK work out in.  Bike was done in the basement on the trainer  (45 minutes) and the run immediately after on the roads of Buckingham (30 minutes).  Not much to report except that my run was very solid.  Negative splits and an average pace of 7:56/mile.  I am feeling really good off of the bike lately.  I hope it translates during my race this coming Sunday (Riverstock Triathlon - Olympic Distance).

After my workout we were on our way to the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA.  Yeah, not all that exciting and I don't even think my girls were all that excited by it.  The did have fun, but it wasn't like, "OH MY GOSH THIS PLACE IS AMAZING!!!"  After about two hours we were done with it and getting lunch. 

Oh, we did do a little side trip to Lafayette College, my father-in-laws Alma Mater.  The just built a new stadium complex and it is beautiful.  We let the girls run around of the turf for a little bit before we called it a day and headed home. 

Just getting ready for dinner so that is all for nowPeace out!

2 comments:

Sladed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sladed said...

Bummer about the Crayola Factory. I would have thought it would be great. Too bad.