Monday, August 23, 2010

Diving Boards, Headaches & Sore Legs

Holy cow was I sore when I woke up this morning...I mean so sore that it hurt to move a muscle, even my fingers and toes.  Even though I was in quite a bit of pain (slight exaggeration) I knew that it was because I had a great weekend of training and also had a lot of fun with my family. 

Saturday
I was up at 5:00AM to prepare for my three and a half hour ride, which I eventually left that house for at 5:45AM (apparently I am a slow starter).  It was a beautiful morning and as has been the case for pretty much every long weekend ride I have been able to watch the sunrise.  Like a complete idiot I decided to head down to the river and then ride up Federal Twist, my least favorite climb that although only a mile long just gets steeper and steeper with 15% pitch.  I was cursing myself on the way up but was psyched when I finally got to the top, knowing that I wouldn't have anything that tough for the rest of my ride. 

I wish that I had more to say about my ride, but fact is it was pretty uneventful.  I saw upwards of 30 deer, tons of road kill, few cars, and beautiful blue sky for the most part.  I pushed the pace when I could, but that is tough when there is a lot of ups and downs.  I think my total stats were:  64.5 miles, 3:30, ~18.3 MPH average.  Not really all that fast, but considering all of the climbing and descending I am OK with it.  I think my legs were still pretty sore from my Friday afternoon run (8.5 miles with speed work).

Immediately after my ride I went out for a 30 minute run and I felt awesome!  I don't know what it is, but I feel great running off of the bike.  3.95 miles, 30:15, 7:40/mile

I spend the rest of the day with my in-laws at our pool club.  We all headed over there and had a pretty good time until my almost 5-year old niece got stung my a bee.  Then the majority of the clan headed home, leaving me, my oldest daughter and my father-in-law to spend the next hour or so going off of the diving board.  I must have gone off the 1m spring board 50 times and did I pay for it.  My feet were killing me, so sore....but I had a lot of fun doing it.

Oh, celebrated my wife's birthday as well with Fudgie the Whale from Carvel.  So AWESOME!!!

Sunday
I slept in a bit, well if you call being woken up at 6:30AM by two little girls sleeping in.  I took my time getting ready prior to my hour and 15 minute run.  My feet were killing me and my head felt like it had been hit repeatedly with a baseball bat.  I suspect that both ailments were the results of the numerous spectacular dives I performed off of the diving board.  Yes, I was paying for it now.  It was also raining out which eliminated all urgency in my leaving early.  All that aside I knew that I had to get my run in.  So off I went and it was slow going...like 9:00/mile slow.  Everything was sore and the best I could muster was a shuffle with my feet.  Again, not spectacular about my run, I just got it done.  Stats:  1:20:00, 8.8 miles, 9:00/mile

The rest of the day was a lazy, sit around the house and do nothing day.  It was raining consistently all day and I had no desire to go out and do anything.  Actually, we did run out and pick up some dwarf frogs for my daughter (a reward for my youngest finally swimming underwater).  After that it was relax!  Oh, that is until around 8:15PM I realized that I still had to do an hour on the bike, to loosed the legs up and completed the longest training week of my schedule thus far....14 HOURS!!!  So to the basement I went and banged out an hour on the trainer while watching Jersey Shore (love that show).

Today
As I said REST DAY!!!  I am tired and sore.  I do have the day off from work...actually I have the whole week off from work.  So it is just me and the girls doing whatever we want to do.  We are in the process of building a ginger bread house, yeah, in August.  We are going to head over to the pool after lunch and I can guarantee that I will be keeping my diving to a minimum. 

Ciao!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a great week off from work! That's a nice reward for a long training week. I had 14 hours this week too and I am TIRED! I can barely keep my eyes open as I type this! Make sure you're stretching with all your soreness.