Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Run Workouts....kind of like Children's Medicine

I think that I have said it in here before that I am not a fan of Tuesday's.  Why?  Because I got from a tough weekend of training, then a day off, then swim workout and tough run workout.  I don't know, maybe it has been the hot and humid weather, but that Tuesday run has typically been a total bitch.  I was anticipating another crap-fest out on the road today as well (swim is going to come later on after work).

I was fortunate that my friend Chris was able to join me for my run today, a run that wasn't figuring to be a whole lot of fun.  I know that these workouts are only making me stronger and fitter for my big race in November, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.  It is kind of like when I give my daughters medicine, even though it tastes disgusting and they don't want to have to endure the horror of drinking it, ultimately it is going to make them better.  Here is my "medicine" for today:

1:00 in Zone 2, at :10 insert 3 x 6 minutes Zone 4 @ 2 minute jog (recovery)

So off we went at a nice easy pace for about 14 minutes....yup, accidentally did a bit of a longer warm-up.  Then I gave the word that it was time to kick it up to Zone 4 for the next six minutes, and a tough ass six minutes that it was (6:59/mile pace).  Then we jogged, a much needed and way too short two minute jog....BAM, we were back at it running hard up a gradual incline as my heart rate soared until rest came (7:25/mile pace)....again, the rest was not long enough, but I added an extra 30 seconds on to it.   Now we had one last six minute section left and we went pretty hard, it was mostly downhill and we had to run pretty good to keep our heart rate up in Zone 4, and then oops I accidentally forgot the time and we ran an extra 30 seconds (6:39/mile pace).  And then an easy recovery followed by a 3.5 mile run back to the office at ~8:10/mile pace.  Total stats:  7.5 miles, 59:19 (7:56/mile), Avg HR 155 BPM

Honestly the run sucked, both Chris and I were hurting afterwards.  Despite the pain, exhaustion and impending dehydration, we know that we took our medicine and tomorrow when we wake up we are going to be better for it.  For me, I know that come November 21st, I am going to be able to look back on days like today and know that is why I am successful.

Still have my swim workout tonight and I am going to make the most of that as well.  Have an awesome day!

1 comment:

Skip said...

Good medicine indeed. Looks like you are doing just fine with everything. The hills at IMAZ are pretty minor but you'll be ahead of the game if you keep including them in your training. For me those hills seemed to be a wee bit bigger after swimming and biking for "a few hours".