Friday, April 16, 2010

Back to the Back

I am tentatively feeling "OK" today.  I still feel the slightest twinge in on the left side of my mid-back.  I went in to see Dr. Derek this morning at 7:00AM and he worked on my back pretty good and followed it up with some electric stim and heat.  I was a bit sore when I left his office but feel better now, aside from that twinge.  I am optimistic about this coming Sunday, but still fear that I am my back is going to lock up on me during the race.  I have put in all of 16 miles running since Monday April 5th which definitely scares me a bit.

On a positive note, I did make it to the gym last night and managed to get my swim on, although not for as long as I had hoped.  Let me preface my swim report by stating that I did some abdominal work in the gym first, then took a ten minute HOT shower during which I stretched the heck out of my back.  I then followed that up with a 10 minute session in the sauna (only because the pool was littered with 3 - 12 year olds there for swim lessons and swim team practice). 

Once most of the munchins cleared out, I hopped in and felt awesome in the water, like really, really good.  My first 100M was absolutely lightening for me.....1:47 (translates to a 1:38/100 yd).  I followed that up with an additional 400M where I didn't so much as peek over 2:00.  I was absolutely stoked.  I then did 3 x 250M and averaged about 5 minutes for each interval.  This was by far the best and fastest that I have swam in a very long time.  It got me thinking that maybe I am better off swimming in the afternoon or evenings rather than in the early AM.  Of course I don't have the luxury in my schedule to be able to do this, but it was a nice thought none-the-less.  At least it gives me thought that my swimming is a bit better than I think.

I opted to end my swim after only 1,250M because I could feel it a bit in my back and I didn't want to risk putting it into a full spasm again.  Plus, I figured I should head home and spend some time with my ladies before bedtime.

That is about all for now; I am just hoping that my back will return to normal by Sunday so that I can run fast and strong.  Cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job on the swim! Sorry your back is still acting up. Maybe I'll see you at RU on Sunday, but probably not until the end after you've already been done for 30 minutes because I'm slow as molasses. Oh well, fun times!