Thursday, April 22, 2010

Swimming & the "Single Ladies"

I woke up this morning about 45 seconds before my alarm went off.  it was 4:39AM and I was lying there awake, trying to estimate what time it was.  I reached for my watched and it showed I had only seconds until my iPod Touch would be strumming me awake.  I have to assume that this is a good thing, the fact that my body is adjusting to the early morning wake ups.

I laid in bed for another minute debating what I should do.  You see, my throat was killing me, it was so sore.  I think it had to do with my sleeping a bit flat last night and my post-nasal drip really flowing.  I thought about how I really needed to get into the pool, so......I slowly got out of bed, expecting my legs to still be sore.  SURPRISE!  They felt good, no really soreness left.  I couldn't have been happier.

This marks the first time ever that I have arrived at the gym/pool prior to 5:30AM, and the parking lot still have a bunch of cars in it (there are a lot of crazy people just like me).  My swim workout this morning wasn't the best one, in fact it really sucked.  The thing with swimming is if you are not really breathing well, the whole workout is going to be extremely difficult.  The first 100M was rough, I felt like I had something lodged in my throat and I couldn't get it out.  Actually the first 500M was like that, I kept blowing my nose in a towel and trying to clear my throat (cough, cough, cough).  Everything in my throat and nose did eventually clear up, but I never really found my stroke.  I was struggling the whole time, I even considered bailing after about 700M. 

I pressed on and did a very slow 500M warm-up, then 5 x 200, 300M with a pull buoy working on my stroke, bi-lateral breathing, and hypoxic breathing.  I wrapped it all up with two 50s to see how fast I could swim them (not fast at all) and then an easy 100M.  Total of 2,000M in around 43 minutes.  I am aiming to get in the water tomorrow as well, heck it can't hurt right? 

I opted to not run today, but I am considering a 45 ride on the trainer tonight once the girls go to bed.  I would love to get out on the road and ride for a bit but I don't think it is in the cards until this weekend.  Riding on the trainer will give me a chance to try out my new Dura Ace 12-21 cassette, oh so exciting.

Last thing....Dance Rehearsal RecapI spent about a half hour last night at my daughters dance studio; I am taking part in the Daddy Dance portion of her recital in June.  It was me and about 12 other Dad's, all burly, manly-men learning a dance routine.  From what I understand said routine is going to be a mix of a songs, two of which are  "Single Ladies" by Beyonce and "YMCA" by the Village People.  Yeah, it is going to be interesting to say the least.  I will say that we looked damn good though!  SNAP!  Updates will appear weekly.

No comments: