Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Oh So Sore Still

WTF!  Why am I still so sore from my race on Sunday?  I just want to feel better already.  I guess I ran a bit harder than I initially thought.  My left hamstring is still extremely tight, my quads are still a bit achy and even my calves have some lingering effects of my day at Rutgers. 

So, I am not sure if my getting back to running yesterday and today was the smartest decision.  Actually, yesterday I got up well before the crack of dawn and headed to the pool to get my swim on.  My legs were not really cooperating with me so I opted to do about 90% of my swimming with a pull buoy (yes, I am a wuss).  Overall I felt pretty good, not great, but good.  I only had enough time to get in 1,600M (33:31), but I was happy with that.  Things are going to get a lot more difficult next Tuesday when my Ironman training officially kicks off and my training schedule calls for 2,500M at least two days a week.

Running....yeah, I think that is what you could call what I did yesterday.  I think my first mile was around 8:50 and I don't believe that any other mile was faster than 8:20.  a whopping four miles run at an average pace of 8:33.  I thought that getting out with the guys and doing some easy miles would help to loosen up my sore muscles, but it didn't really do the trick.  DAMN!

Flash forward to today, I thought about getting up early and getting on the trainer for 30 - 45 minutes this morning but that idea was very short lived.  I really needed my sleep, so I did just that and slept in until around 6:45AM (a solid 7.5 hours!).  At some point during the night, my four year old daughter snuck into our bed and I didn't notice until around 5:30AM.  Sneaky little critter she is. 

This afternoon I debated the pro's and con's of going for a run at lunch with Bill.  In the end I thought that another easy 4 miles would do me good.  In hindsight I am not sure that it was such a good idea.  My legs still felt like absolute garbage and on top of that I just felt really run down (4.3 miles in 36:36 - 8:30/mile).  I think tomorrow is going to be a swim-only day, maybe I'll throw in a little time on the bike if I feel better.

I would like to get on the bike tonight but I don't think that's going to happen.  I should mention that I do have dance class tonight....yes, that's right dance classMy seven year old daughter is in hip/hop dance and they asked for some fathers to take part in the end of the year dance recital.  Well, my little one asked me numerous times to take part (and my wife gave me a nudge or two as well), so I gave in.  Now every Wednesday night starting tonight through mid-June, I have dance calls from 8:15PM - 8:45PM.  It should be interesting to say the very least.

That is about it for now.  I hope to post some pictures up here in the next day or two (swing set, etc.).  I hope that I remember.  Ciao!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never used a foam roller before, so this advice isn't backed by any of my experience, but I head they're great. Maybe you should try one out?