Monday, April 5, 2010

Random Words

A couple words that come to mind as I sit here and type this:  sunrise, tired, warm, District 9, five, wet.

Sunrise - Saturday morning I knew that I needed to get up early and get my run in because my parents were going to be coming up around noon to visit with us.  I really needed to be back at the house by 8:30AM so that I could get food in the overn for lunch.  So at 6:05AM I was up and out of bed and on the road by 6:35AM to begin my 12 mile run.  What an amazing morning.  The sun was just rising as I began my run and with each mile I ran it crept a bit higher into the sky.  I ran a big look that was gradual uphill for the first four miles, then a much more dramatic down hill for the next four, and finished up with a slow rise back to my house.  There were so many good things about this run, the temperature was perfect, the sky was a bright blue, I ran along a swollen creek for a good portion, I encountered a bunch of wild life (three wild turkeys, a deer, a possum, and three woodpeckers going to town on an old tree) and I was running pretty well considering I am not a good early morning runner.  I ended up running about 12.3 miles in about 1:40 (8:15/mile), with the last 2.3 miles run at 7:45/mile pace.

Tired - I am tired, so very, very tired.  Yesterday was a long day, starting with my youngest coming into the bedroom at 5:00AM and ending after a late spin on the trainer at 11:30PM.  The day didn't really get started until my oldest awoke at 6:30AM and was all fired up to see what the Easter bunny had left at our house.  After a bit of drama we were up and at 'em, the girls (my niece included) running around looking for their Easter eggs in our Family room and then their Easter baskets.  I think the fun was over by 7:30AM or 8:00AM. 

Warm - The rest of the day is kind of a blur, a warm and summer-like blur, but I do know that we did go to church at 9:30AM (it was PACKED!), my brother-in-law and I came home early to hide eggs outside, and everyone else got back around 11:00AM.  it was at this point that I realized that I hadn't eaten anything yet and I was feeling really light headed and out of it.  In between cooking up pork roll and English muffins for my family (in-laws included), I was able to throw down a bagel and some OJ.  Then it was the outdoor Easter egg hunt, playing outside, five minute nap, awoken by my neighbor looking for a post hole digger, nap for five minutes, awoken by neighbor returning the post hole digger, went to the park with the kids, nature walk and then back for dinner.  We actually ate dinner outside on our back deck, it was just beautiful!

District 9 - I didn't have a chance to get in my planned six mile run + 6 x 100 strides yesterday, there just wasn't time for me to slip away for an hour to get my training in.  I opted to fit it in when everyone left, which was around 8:30PM last night.  Instead of running I thought it would be better to just head down to the basement and ride for an hour or so.  9:30PM I started my ride, all the while watching District 9.  What a good movie, so good that my hour spent on the trainer just flew by, faster than any other ride I have done on it.  Problem was that I should have just stayed riding for the entire movie.  Instead I got off and watched the rest of it while I was sitting on my floor....I ended up staying up way too late.

Five - As a result of last nigths ride, I only got about five hours of sleep and my eyes are burning (I don't think it is from the chlorine in the pool this morning either).  I really need to start managing my sleep a bit better.  I am going to bed too late, and yes 10PM is too late when you are training and getting up at 4:45AM (soon to be 4:30AM) in the morning.

Wet - Lastly, I was back in the pool this morning and I was beat.  I had hoped to get in at least 2,000M, but I got there later than normal and only had time for 1,800M.  At least it was slightly over a mile in the water, eh?  It felt good to be swimming, especially since I hadn't been swimming since last Thursday.

That is about it for now.  I have a ton of work to do and not a lot of time to do it (I am off tomorrow and Wednesday....just me and the girls).  Ciao!

No comments: