Thursday, April 8, 2010

DOH.....Back Spasm!

I can hop in the pool and swim a mile and a half without too much of a problem.  I can get on my trainer and pedal away for an hour and a half and feel no ill effects.  I can go out and run 12+ miles and still run around with my girls at the park.  All of the previous are no match for me, I am an athlete, a fine tuned machine ready for action.  So, if everything I have stated above is accurate, then how in the hell do I manage to hurt myself reaching for a brush? 

I was sitting down on a stool in my daughters bathroom, I had to get her ready for school and thus needed a brush to take care of her hair.  So I reached underneath the sink and BANG!...I get a twinge in my lower back.  I knew immediately that it wasn't a good thing.  Then slowly but surely over the next 30 seconds my whole lower back began to cramp up on me.  I don't know why it happened but it did, my lower back went into spasms and today, 24 hours later it still is hurting. 

It blows my mind how I can beat the crap out my body day in and day out, then I tweak my back doing an everyday task.  Maybe it is my body's way of telling me that I need to rest for a day or two.

The past few days have been pretty difficult to get any real training in, but I did manage to have fun with my girls.  Tuesday I took the day off to spend with my daughters because my oldest didn't have school.  Aside from a dentist visit in the morning it the day was to do with as we wanted.  First things first, we had pancakes for breakfast, always a good way to start the day.  Then it was to the dentist, where we were happy to find out that K's teeth were in great shape.  After the teeth cleaning it was off to play some miniature golf.  We all had a good time running around the empty mini-golf course.  Somehow we managed to lose a ball in a pond (yeah, don't ask), saw three little frogs sitting my said pond (big highlight), and learn a little about putting.  After that is was off to grab lunch at Wendy's....I really didn't want to get fast food, but it was a treat for the girls and they do have Frosties.  Right from lunch we headed over to the "Green Park" to just run around and have fun.  It was packed and my oldest knew one or two girls, so she had a blast playing with them.  This brought us to around 3:30PM and it was time to get home and chill before soccer practice (6:00PM that night).

Tuesday night I hopped on the bike for about an hour and watched "LOST".  I was supposed to do a speed work out (running), but I didn't have the time during the day to do it, and just didn't feel like going outside to do it in the dark.  It was still productive and I felt really good afterwards.

Yesterday morning is when I acquired the back injury, so there was no chance of me going for a run or a ride.  Sucked!

Today, I wanted to get in the pool, but it just wasn't going to happen.  My back feels a little better, but still not good enough to do anything that requires any type of core stabilization (translation:  swimming, running and biking will all cause major uncomfortability).  I am taking some muscle relaxants from a previous back injury in hopes that it will eliminate the spasms sooner than later.  Truth is I know that the only thing I can really do is rest and relax and let nature take its course.  Although, I am thinking about heading to my sports doc to see if he can accelerate the healing.

That is it for now.  I hope that these few days off don't hurt my chance for a PR at the UNITE Half Marathon next week!.  Ciao!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope that back feels better soon! I know exactly what you mean, I can wake up at all hours of the morning and train in the sun and not be too tired, but put me in the sun for 2 hours everyday this week and I'm dragging ass all over the place!