Monday, October 25, 2010

Finally....QUALITY!

Weekend recap...finally a quality weekend of training!

Saturday
I had my daughters soccer game at 11:00AM so it meant I had to get my run in early.  I was in my car and on my way to the tow path (along the Delaware River) by 6:00AM.  I pretty much did the same run I did last weekend, excepted I added a bit on the second half, going a couple miles past Lamberville/New Hope.  It was a beautiful morning, it was a full moon for the first 45 minutes, it light up the trail and was right in front of me for the first 4.5 miles.  On the way back, once the sun came up, the trees were showing their colors, creating an orange, yellow, and red canopy that I ran under for most of my morning jaunt.  My legs felt pretty good and I managed to improve upon my initial 8:45/mile pace (the first 4 miles), picking up the pace over the last 5 miles or so.  Total Run:  19.5 miles, 2:45:00, 8:27/mile

After my run I had to pick up "The Diva", head to the food store to get the post-game snack for her soccer game, then get home, shower, change and then go to her game.  Again, it was a beautiful day, sunny and perfect temperature.  The girls played well, my daughter scored a beautiful goal, with a celebration to match (arms up in the air and high-fives to all of her teammates). 

Following the game, we headed home, I cut the lawn and did a little over seeding.  Then I had to get in an 1.25 hour ride on the trainer to loosed up my legs a bit.  It was pretty uneventful, just pedaled and watched TV.

Sunday
My wife told me that I should sleep in, we didn't have soccer and frankly I don't think she wanted to hear my alarm clock go off at 4:30AM.  So.....I slept in until 7:40AM.  Wow, I can't remember the last time that happened.  After a little breakfast it was time to head out for me long ride of the week.  I decided to go south along the river and then head towards Princeton University.  From there I headed north to where my wife and I had our first home in Franklin Park, NJ.  It was really odd standing in front of that townhouse and remembering all of the firsts that we had there (first dog, first daughter, etc.).  I took a picture and sent it to my wife.  I then continued on to New Brunswick, to Rutgers University where I received my undergraduate degree.  This was right around 50 miles into my ride, I stopped and got two Hostess Apple Pies to supplement my nutrition.

It was then time to head for home, so after eating one of the apple pies, I was cruising south back towards Princeton.  Not much to say about the ride except that I rode smart, not pushing the pace too much, just trying to make sure I would make the distance without burning out.  I did have one big two mile climb about eight miles from my house that I attacked and conquered.  Total ride:  103 miles (my first official century ride ever!!!), 5:30:00, 18.7 MPH average

Immediately after the ride I was out the door to finish up my training for the week with a 1 hour run.  I kept it easy, just plugged along and made sure my heart rate was in Z2.  Total Run:  7.1 miles, 1:01:00, 8:35/mile pace

I spent the rest of the day/night hanging with the ladies in my life and then eating a bunch of tacos for dinner.  I was in bed by 10:15 PM, but didn't fall asleep until after 11:00PM....I was just laying there, I guess to tired to actually sleep.

Today
REST DAY!!!  Surprisingly my legs feel really good.  If anything I am just tired, a lot of yawning.  I have my daughters soccer practice tonight so that will give me a chance to walk around and loosen up my legs a bit.  I really do love rest days!!!

Ironman Arizona is a mere four weeks away, I can't believe it.  One more big week of training (planned 20 hours) and then the taper begins.  I can't wait for the taper to begin!!!

2 comments:

Alili said...

Epic weekend - one more week until taper!

Sladed said...

That 5 1/2 hr (!) century ride will serve you well, physically AND mentally. The 112 miles likely will NOT feel longer. Almost there...