Thursday, October 21, 2010

Good Stuff

It has been a pretty good week, things are going well for the most part.  When I say that things are going well, I am talking not only about my training, but also about life in general. 
  • Work is getting better and that end, I have a couple of possible job opportunities in the works (one internal and one external).  I have a second interview scheduled for tomorrow that is going to pretty much last all day.  I hope it pans out.
  • Family is great, and has been for the better part of my training (some bumps).  I think that fact that my wife knows that there are only two more tough weekends for us (I say "us" because my training affects everyone in my family).
  • Training is going a bit more smoothly, I finally see an end in sight, I mean the race that is.  Last week was tough from a time management standpoint, so many commitments and just not enough time.  Sometime family and work take precedence over an hour and half bike ride.
Here is what has been going on this week:

Tuesday
I was up at the way-before-crack-of-dawn (4:20AM) and in the pool swimming at 5:10AM.  I put in a solid 3,500m.  After that it was time for work....yada, yada, yada.  After work it was the typical pick up the girls, make dinner for the family, and help get the girls ready for bed.  I had to get in an hour run, and it didn't happen until around 8:30PM.  As it turns out, I didn't quite get the entire hour run in...about 10 minutes in my heart rate was soaring, mid-Zone 4.  I tried walking a bit to get it to drop and it did...until I started running again, then it shot back up.  After 20 minutes I decided to call it a night and go home to get some sleep.  I think my lack of sleep over the weekend caught up to me, I needed rest.

Wednesday
I slept in until 6:45AM, a much needed sleep.  I put off my BRICK until after work since "The Diva" had gymnastics and my wife and other daughter would be with her.  So when I got home I put in an hour ride on the trainer and then did a 30 minute run immediately after (solid 7:47/mile pace).

Thursday
I was up at 5:00AM and on my bike riding in the basement by 5:20AM.  I put in an hour and a half and made it count.  I strong 25 minutes in Z4 towards the end of the ride.  I was then down in Philadelphia all day for business meetings (actually a very productive day).  On the way home I stopped by the Newtown Athletic Center to get my swim in, a straight 3,500m swim, in 1:10:50.

I have to say one last thing before signing off and going to bed.  My wife has been tremendous over the past two weeks.  We had a rough day two or three weeks ago when I had a long training day.  Since then she has been nothing but supportive and understanding of all of my training.  I know that it isn't easy on her, and I don't just mean the training, it is also the job hunting that I am doing as well.  I have been stretched pretty thin and thus so has my wife, having to pick up the slack for me.  I am very lucky to have her.

Time for bed, big day tomorrow....Adios!

3 comments:

TrevorD said...

Glad things are going well. Keep it up. The end *IS* in sight and the weather in Arizona is fantastic. You're going to love racing here.

Unknown said...

Doing great there Jamie! The end sure is in sight and you're going to rock AZ!

Sladed said...

One word came to mind when i read your post: SMART. You made a good call on Tuesday realizing you should cut the workout short and going to bed.
You are almost there!