Monday, October 18, 2010

Ironman Training.....This is Hard

Lately I have found that work and training have completely and utterly taken over my life.  On a normal weekday, I am up and out of bed by 4:20AM and then my day goes as follows:
  • 5:00AM - Swim 3,500 meters
  • 7:15AM - In my office working
  • 11:45AM - If I am lucky I get out for an hour run.
  • 4:00PM - Leave work to pick up my daughters
  • 5:00PM - Get home and start making dinner
  • 7:00PM - Fire up my work laptop and get some work done, while helping get the girls with normal bedtime stuff.
  • 9:00PM - 10:00PM - Shut down my laptop
  • 10:00PM - 10:30PM - Try to get to sleep since I have to get up between 4:20AM & 5:00AM the next day.
That is pretty much every Tuesday through Friday.  Monday is a rest day, but I am still getting up before 6:00AM and the rest of my day is the same as above.  Even my weekends are tough, waking at 4:30AM - 5:00AM to get in a long run or ride before I have to coach my daughters soccer game or simply try to be a good husband and father. 

I read a lot before signing up for Ironman Arizona, I spoke to a lot of Ironman veterans, and I thought I knew what to expect.  Nothing can prepare you for the journey until you actually are a part of it.  This has been the most difficult sporting endeavor that I have ever under taken

Here's a quick weekend recap:

Saturday
My daughter had a 10:00AM soccer game which meant I had to get my 2.5 hour run in before that.  I was up and out the door by 5:15AM, with the difference being that I was in my car driving down to the Delaware River to run along the canal.  I had spoken to a friend at the gym on Friday and he advised me to make my long runs easy (with regard to terrain).  I agreed and opted for the nice tow path along the river.  I did 18 miles in 2:31:26, good for around an 8:24/mile pace.  I forgot to bring my Garmin, so I was running on feel.  Kind of a nice feeling for a change.

After running it was soccer time, then we rushed home and then drove up to Lafayette College (my father-in-law's Alma Mater), where we attended Homecoming with my in-laws.  We had a really good time; it was a beautiful day and Lafayette won.  Once we get home, we headed out again to get dinner (I pigged out on pasta) and were home by 8:00PM.  I then had to put in a 1.5 hour ride.  Well, it was late and I had a 5.5 hour ride on Sunday, so I cut the ride down to 45 minutes.  I didn't get to sleep until around 11:00PM.

Sunday
Seems that my daughters soccer games are determining my schedule....noon soccer game meant I had to be on my bike by 5:00AM if I had any chance of getting in my whole workout (5.5 hour ride FIB 1 hour run).  Up at 4:40AM, on my trainer at 5:06AM where I put in two hours before the sun came up.  I then had to do a quick change into my warm weather clothes (it was ~42F outside), swap out my back wheel and do 3.5 hours outside.  Unfortunately my change wasn't so quick and I lost about 15 minutes.  The 3.5 hour ride went really well for the most part, I would say right up until around 2.75 hours in (4.75 hours into the ride overall).  I started to just feel exhausted, I think my lack of sleep for the week was finally catching up with me.  Oh yeah, it was friggin' freezing out!!!  My feet were numb the entire ride, I didn't not dress appropriately.  Here is a ride summary:
  • 2:00:00 - Trainer Ride - 32 miles (outside it would have been closer to 38 miles)
  • 3:25:00 - Ride north along Delaware River ~ 64 miles
  • Total - 5:25:00, ~ 96 miles
I managed to make it back to my house by around 11:00AM and realized that I only had time for a 15 - 20 minute run (DANG!).  I trudged along for around for 15:30, 1.83 miles at 8:29/mile pace.

Then it was soccer time and then pumpkin picking time.  I spent the rest of the day, from 4:00PM on just trying to take a nap, but it didn't happen.  It is tough to nap when you have two little girls that just want you to play with them.

I think I finally fell asleep last night around 10:30PM, despite my best efforts to make it happen earlier.

Today
I am plum tired, having gotten out of bed at 6:15AM this morning.  It is my goal tonight to get to sleep by 9:00AM and get a solid 7.5 hours of sleep in, if not more.  That is if for now.  Adios!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hang in there...the end is in sight. This should be your last REALLY big week. Taper is on the horizon!

We are all feeling beat. To add insult to injury, my kids were off from school ALL last week for fall break. Blech.

BTW: Have you seen the pics from TTL?! It's full!

Sladed said...

There are a number of opinions on how to do a brick. Since you were still able to run for 15 minutes after a very long ride, be satisfied with that. In fact, just act as if you were following someone else's well-found advise! That first 15 minute of the run is the most important to get in anyway. It transitioning the legs from ride to run that is most important.
Keep doing what you can do. Almost there!