Friday, October 22, 2010

"You've got to be dedicated"

I woke up this morning at 5:30AM and contemplated going back to sleep.  Instead I got up, got my running gear on and headed downstairs.  As I opened the door to go outside I realized it was raining out...that was my cue to go back upstairs and climb into my nice warm bed.  As I walked towards the stairs I heard faint voices and I looked out the window and saw two women go running by.  It was then that I realized I needed to man up and get in my run.  I can't believe that I almost blew off a training session because of a little rain, I mean I was already up and dressed, ready to go. 

Anyway, I was out running within minutes and of course feeling not so great.  It took me around 20 minutes before I actually felt like I was moving OK.  As I got closer to my house a cyclist passed by me and let out an enthusiastic "Good morning!"  I answered back with a slightly less enthusiastic, "Good morning."  As I made the turn that would put me 3/4 of a mile from home, another cyclist rode by, only this time all he said was, "You've got to be dedicated."  For the next six minutes that was all I could think about, that in order for anyone to be out exercising on such a less than pleasant morning you have to be dedicated (or stupid....I prefer dedicated).  In fact, for the rest of that day that was all I could think about, "You've got to be dedicated."

And with that I am going to hit the hay soon and rest up for my long weekend of training.  Tomorrow (Saturday) I have a 2.75 hour run on tap, probably at 6:00AM down along the Delaware River and then a 1.5 hour ride on my trainer later on in the afternoon just to work the legs out.  On Sunday I have a 5.5 hour ride followed by an hour run.  Since there is not soccer game to coach, I shouldn't have a problem getting it all in.  Wahoo!!!

Have a great weekend everyone and be DEDICATED!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hell yea that's what I'm talking about! I've often thought of that on my 5am or earlier runs and bike rides on the trainer. This can be your mantra everytime you want to skip a training swim/bike/run. Own it! Have a great weekend