Friday, October 15, 2010

RR: Hunterdon Half Iron Distance Triathlon

5:30AM, Sunday, October 10, 2010 - I open my garage door and step outside.  I am hit with a blast of cold air that makes me think that an October triathlon may not have been the best decision.  I can see my breathe drift away from my face.  I think of my wife sleeping soundly in our warm bed; it would be so easy to shut the garage door and go back upstairs.  No one ever said that training for and Ironman would be easy.  Damn!  I get in the car and drive off to Round Valley Reservoir where I would be taking part in the Hunterdon Half Iron Distance Triathlon.


That is how my day started, with a lot of second thoughts and reservations.  I knew no matter  I was what that I was racing that day because I paid for it (I am cheap) and I needed to do a half iron distance triathlon since my training plan said so (I have to stick to the plan).  So around 6:15AM, with the sky still filled with stars and the temperature hoovering around 38F, I pulled into a parking spot and made my way to transition.

I spent the better part of the hour and a half leading up to the race discussing (and joking) with other racers as to what we would all be wearing on the bike portion since the temps weren't going to hit 50F for a while.  It was a good way to pass the time and get in a few laughs.  I probably should have been lounging around, resting my legs for the long day ahead.  Finally around, 7:30AM the sun rose over the mountains and warmed up the air around us to the mid-40s (Thank God!!!).  Race time was nearly upon us!

Swim
I was a nervous being one of only a handful of racers to be wearing a sleeveless wetsuit, until word trickled down that the water temps was in the low-70s.  We all waded in and waited for the start.  BANG!  We were off, all 90 of us (small race), swimming in the surprisingly crystal clear waters of the reservoir.  I couldn't get over how clean that water was and how I was able to follow the feet ahead of me.  It made the swim so much easier than other races I have done.  Not much to really say about the first mile of the swim other than it went pretty quickly, just putting one arm, pulling and then doing the same with the other arm.  The last 400m or so my legs started to feel a bit off, so I started to do a bit of more kicking, trying to get the blood flowing down there.  I remembered hearing Dave Scott say once (in an on-line video) that as you approach the swim exit you should bring your toes up towards your shins to stretch out your calves...so I did that, and it seemed to help.  I approached the exit ramp, happy to see land, one more stroke and I hit pavement so I stood up.  OH NO!  My calves cramped up, both hamstrings cramped up and my left groin muscle cramped.  What the heck!  I did my best to waddle and shuffle my way up the 300m to T1, but it was tough.  I had to stretch a bit to stop the cramps.  34:09; 1:46/100m

T1
Holy cow, it took me forever to get my wetsuit off because every time I bent a leg, a muscle would cramp.  Oh how I would have loved to have a wetsuit stripper.  After an agonizing long time getting my wetsuit off and trying to get some feeling into my freezing feet I managed to grab my bike and head out.  5:32

Bike
It started out cold, very cold.  Thank God I had arm warmers (i.e. soccer socks with the toes cut out) to keep me moderately warm.  My feet on the other hand were ice cubes for the entire ride.  The first mile was uphill which didn't help my recently cramped leg muscles.  I pushed on and did my best to get into a good rhythm and high cadence.  The bike route is a bear, mostly rolling, some brief flats, and three substantial climbs that are spread out evenly over the entire 56 miles.  Mile two there is a great downhill, then a little flat section, then a long steady uphill that sapped everything.  At this point we are only about 15 miles into the race and finally a steady downhill portion that isn't entire all downhill, but I was able to recover.  I played leap frog with another cyclist for the first 20 miles before finally passing him for good as we neared a mile long downhill to the Delaware River.  The it was 8 mile stretch along the river that rises gradually but not too bad, before you hit the climb up and away from the river.

That climb was tough, but not as bad as I had thought it would be.  My legs seemed to have recovered from the cramping, and I was able to grind it out .  Once at the top it was just a normal ride, but I just couldn't get where I felt really good.  I was riding slower than my typical 80 - 90 mile training rides, I just couldn't figure it out.  I guess the swim took a lot out of me.  I kept on truckin' and tried to find some folks to pass, but there just wasn't racers ahead of me, just recreational cyclists that I was able to "target" to pass....I needed something.  Finally I had a nice long downhill and neared the end of the ride.  There was one last hill to climb, a mere two miles from T2, the same one that I was able to bomb down earlier in the race (hit 45 MPH).  Holy cow, that climb hurt!  My leg cramps returned, groin and quads, so I tried to find a way to work through them.  Finally, I reached the high ground and just cruised back to T2, making sure to finish off my third bottle of Gatorade and last three Clif Shot Bloks (ate three sleeves on the ride).  3:02:28, 18.4 MPH (Note: I rode this same course a two weeks prior and did it in 2:55:00, 19.2 MPH)

T2
I was quick through transition, happy to be running and hoping the cramps would be gone.  1:22

Run
The race organizer mentioned that the first mile or so of the run course would be on trails along the reservoir, which sounded great.  The scenery was amazing, no doubt; however, the trails were rolling and rooted.  What a tough mile to run after a tough bike.  I usually love running on trails, but not after 56 miles of torture.  I finally hit pavement and was happy...never thought I would say that.  A little note here, I really had to pee right after leaving T2, but figured I could take care of it in the woods or at a port-a-potty soon thereafter.  The next two miles were pretty much downhill and I was able to cruise a good pace.  Then the rolling hills started and the turn around came, which meant more rolling hills and then a long uphill.  It was a tough first six miles, run with a super full bladder.  There was another turn around and down that lovely hill which now was killing my quads, but at least it was downhill.  For the next three miles all I wanted to do was pee and I was looking for a place to go.  Then I saw it, right there at a water stop at mile nine.  I passed it twice already without noticing.  What followed was the longest pee of my life, a solid 1.5 to 2 minutes of extreme relief.

I emerged like Superman out of a telephone booth, feeling a couple pounds lighter and ready to kill the next four miles.  The only problem was that my legs weren't on board with the plan.  Oh well, I did my best to maintain a good pace, good form, good spirits.  Finally there was a mile to go and I was able to pass two people, both of whom shouted words of encouragement, not able to stick with me.  I saw the finish line and just coasted through, happy that my day was done.  1:51:02, 8:29/mile  (shame the pee break counts in my time)

Total:  5:34:34 (16th Overall out of 59)
Swim:  34:09 (23rd out of 59)
T1:  5:32
Bike:  3:02:28 (19th out of 59)
T2:  1:22
Run:  1:52:02 (18th out of 59)

Final Thoughts
This was my first half iron distance triathlon in two years, and only the second one I have ever done.  The course was very similar to my first one and I had a huge PR (around 32 minutes faster).  I don't know what happened with the cramping out of the swim, hopefully it is something that I can fix nutritionally, e.g. eat some banana's pre-race, do some more stretching, done mull about so much pre-race (try to sit and relax more) etc.  I think if I had come out of the water with out the cramps I could have cut a significant amount of time off of my 5:34:34, I would guess close to 20 minutes or more...of course it is easy to say that in hindsight.  I am happy with my result, it was on a very touch course and I think it will only make me stronger for Ironman Arizona!

Peace out!

1 comment:

Sladed said...

This race will serve you well! You overcame cold, negative thoughts, cramps, etc. If the weather in AZ is typical it will be a piece of cake. The water temp will be less and the clarity will likely suck but you'll be fine. I had calf cramps as I tried to take the stairs out of the lake last year. With help from the volunteers, I made it up the stairs, was stripped of my wetsuit, and ran on. Love those volunteers!
The bike course will not be nearly as much of a challenge hill-wise. Be ready for long steady "false flat" as the toughest "climb".
Time can be squeezed with training. Do the best you can to get those KEY sessions in and if the other ones have to be compromised, so be it. You'll be ready!