Thursday, July 9, 2009

Back to Training

After a rough ten days or so of intermittent training, I think I am back in the grove. Everything in my life is slowly getting back to normal, my dear wife is home and on the mend, my little girls have their smiles back on their faces and I am looking forward to getting some monotony back in my life.


Let me start with yesterday which was my second day back at work in what has seemed like an eternity. It has been a bit difficult getting back into the swing of things and the fact that there are some significant changes going on hasn't made life any easier. I did manage to get out at lunch for a nice run (especially when compated to the day prior). I planned to run about 5 miles, possilby with a friend or two from work, but alas no one was available. No worries, I strapped my iPod to my arm and off I went. I turned out of be one of those days when you just want to keep running (Forest Gump like). I felt so good runnign down the country roads near my office, along a creek, in the shadows of tall oak trees, and over a couple quaint bridges...it was just so perfect. As I was running I dind of lost myself a bit and each time I looked at my Garmin I noticed that the miles were just flying by. My 5 mile run turned into about 7.2 miles and I felt great. My pace wasn't exceptionally fast (8:16/mile) but the fact that I felt as though I was just cruising was so encouraging.

Today was a bit different in that I had quite a few things going on (webcasts, conference calls, doctor appointments, etc.), but I still managed to fit in some much needed training on my bike and in the pool. Around 2:00pm I hoped on to my bike (2009 Cervelo P2C which I LOVE!!!) and did a 22 mile ride with some solid hills. My average speed (17.6 mph) wasn't stellar but I was happy with how I managed to handle the hills.


I then had a trip to my sports doc for what I hope was the last treatment on my pulled groin muscle which feels great and then some work on my lower back which is really starting to feel better as well.

I wrapped up the night with a 1,500 yd swim which was supposed to be 2,000 yds but was cut short by the fact it was 7:30pm and I really needed to get home to see the wife and kids and eat some dinner.

All in all it was a good day and I am feeling like I am back in the game so to speak. I only hope that I am able to keep up the momentum this weekend as I am supposed to run 9 miles on Saturday (I'll try to throw in a swim as well) and then a nice 40 mile bike ride on Sunday with a 3 - 4 mile run off.
Oh it's on!

No comments: