Saturday, July 4, 2009

Blog Day 2 - 4th of July

A beautiful day today in Eastern PA, mostly sunny and 80F. I was up around 7:00am this morning thanks to Willie (our dog) wanting to eat his breakfast and then of course to "fertilize the lawn".

I didn't do too much this morning aside from hanging with my wife and keeping her company.

Around 12:30pm I decided that it was time to head to the pool and get in a good swim workout which I haven't had a chance to do much of lately. Actually, I have been in the pool a lot this past week, but my workouts have been less than stellar. I have felt slow and tired, more of a manatee than a dolphin (not that I ever feel like a dolphin). I made my way to Fanny Chapman pool and hoped in.

I ended up doing 2,000 yds which is a big workout for me. I felt better than I have in probably six months, the result of seeing one of my daughters friends mom's there swimming laps. She is the swim team coach at the pool and from what I understand, a very good swimmer. Call it what you want, but I was determined not to look like a fool swimming next to her. I did my best to concentrate on my stroke, lengthening my body, reaching out and making smooth strokes. Amazingly it worked! I swam much faster than I have at all this year and I really felt like I was a true swimmer out there, albeit still a very slow swimmer. So if Carey is out there and happens to read this, thank you for inadvertanly pushing me along.

Here is a breakdown of my swim workout:
200yds - Warm-up - 3:43
300 yds - Pull buoy - 5:22
6 x 200 (30 sec rest) - avg. 3:55/200yds
400 yds - Cool down (300 w/pull buoy, 100 free) - 7:57

Total: 2,000 yds - 39:03

I have a 8 mile run on tap for this evening, probably around 8:00pm tonight. Hopefully I will get to see some fireworks at some point.

Update - I ended up cutting my run a bit short; ended up running about 7.6 miles. It was late (around 10pm) and I just wanted to get home and eat something and go to bed. It was a long day and I have a 40 mile ride on tap for tomorrow.

Ciao!

No comments: