Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monday - Rest Day...kind of

I am playing a bit of catch up these past couple days as I haven't had a chance to get on my home computer at night. Hopefully I will be able to get on this evening to update my day. What I am going to do with this post is talk about Monday....so here goes....

I had what some would consider an easy day...2,000 yds in the pool. I was supposed to fit in 25 miles on the bike but I just couldn't find the time to do it. I wasn't going to get up at 5:00am and fit it in before work, especially considering the lack of sleep I have been suffering through. I couldn't do it after work because I had to get the swim in and I did want to spend at least a little time with my wife and kids. I really think that I need to save up some money to get a trainer so that I can ride in the basement after everyone goes to bed. It seems like the only logical choice.

I did manage to get in the pool and do a much needed swim work out. Usually the pool is pretty empty when I go during the week, around 6:00pm. The swim team is usually on the way out and I am left with empty lanes galore. Well, last night that was not the case. Apparently there is a group of people (maybe 10 or so) that meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5:30 or so, and do major workouts. Needless to say I hung out and stretched a bit before getting in, hoping that they would be wrapping up their session soon. I didn't want to be mocked too badly for my lack of swimming skills. Luck was not on my side and they happened to be pretty early on in their workout. So I sheepishly entered the water and started to swim.

There are some good things that happen when you swim near people who are much better than you, similar to running or riding with someone faster than you. You start to concentrate more on how you are swimming, focusing on form. I mentioned it in previous posts, and I am finding it to be very true. I ended up doing 2,000 yds in 38:41, which for me is pretty good. Here is a breakdown:

Warm-up
200 - free - 3:43
200 - pull - 3:41

500 - free - 10:14
500 - pull - 9:17
200 - free - 3:56
200 - pull - 3:42

Cool Down
200 - 4:05

I know that I don't swim like a fish, but I do feel like I am getting faster. I just have to try and get to the pool more often and work on my conditioning. It never fails that the first 100 yds I swim is always the fastest (1:43), then I can feel the energy drain out of my arms and into the water, lost forever. No swim on Tuesday because of a swim meet, will definitely be in on Wednesday.

No comments: