Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Just the Pool Maam

I am getting more and more comfortable in the pool. I guess it is the fact that I am doing close to what I need to be doing, and that is just getting to the pool and pushing myself harder and harder each time. Last night was no different.

I spent the day at work as is how most Monday's are spent. I opted out of a run because I was pretty sore from the weekends activities. After work, my wife and I took the girls over to the "Green Park" (so named because all of the jungle gyms equipment is a shade of green, along with the rubber ground material). The girls ran and played for about 45 minutes and just had a blast. I can't believe how big they are getting. It seems like only yesterday I was climbing around with them, helping them get up the stairs and down the slides. Now, I just sit back and watch to make sure there aren't any big falls.

Then it was time for me to get over to the pool and get in my 2,000 yds. before it got too late. When I showed up at the pool it was pretty much deserted, at least the lap pool was pretty empty. I hopped in and did a nice 400 yd warm-up, actually swimming my first 100 yd in 1:40, which is pretty fast for me. As is usually the case with me, I started out strong, swimming around a 1:45/100yd pace and then gradually dropped off a bit as the work-out wore on. The fact that over the past two year, I really only swim for three to fourr months a year takes a bit toll on my conditioning, namely my arms and back just don't have the endurance that all swimmer have. I basically have to retrain myself how to swim every season and then work on getting into swimming shape. My plans for the fall are to join a gym with a pool and to concentrate on my swimming fitness.

Here is a break down of my swim work-out last night:
400 yd - Warm-up - 7:08 (1:40, 1:47, 1:46, 1:55)
500 yd - 9:57
550 yd (500m) - 10:49
300 yd (Drill w/pb) - 5:44 (1:47, 1:58, 1:59)
250 yd - Cool Down - 5:15 (real easy!!!)

Total - 2,000 yds - 39:00:47

That was it for last night. I now have to get back to work and try and figure out how far to run at lunch today....in the rain.

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

Oh nice, nothing like seeing swim improvements! Thanks for the note on the solar eclipse, I am on the look out! Glad your girls are sleeping in thanks to it (possibly:)

Happy training!!