Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tale of a Tired Slacker

Today was just a blah day. It rained pretty much all day. I had some moderately high hopes of going to my chiropractor appointments, mixing in a bike ride and then possibly a swim. Well, I guess I managed to complete 50% of what I really wanted to accomplish.

I chose not to run at work today since I ran two days in a row and I am getting a bit of pain below my left knee. This was a good choice since it was just a rainy miserable day out there. The one bad thing about not running today was that the temps were much cooler than they have been recently. Oh well, no worries. After work I had my doctor appointment and I decided that the best way to get my ride in for the day would be to ride there, get treatment and then ride home. It sounded like a good plan, eh?

Well, I rode the 5 miles over to the doc and got about 45 minutes worth of work on my lower back which feels awesome now. The bummer is that I told my wife that I would be home by 7:00pm and it was 6:20pm by the time I finally got out of the office. I was supposed to put in about 20 - 25 miles on the bike tonight....it just wasn't going to happen. I managed to get in about a total of 15.5 miles and cruised into my garage around 6:58pm. I tried to ride at a pretty high cadence to at least work my lungs a bit since I wasn't going to get the full distance in. I think I averaged around 19 MPH, not terribly fast, but fast enough given the wet roads and somewhat harsh wind.

I didn't manage to get the swim in. By the time I got home I could tell that my wife wasn't feeling all that well and I had to take care of the girls. It ended up being a somewhat late night for them. I think they finally fell asleep around 9pm.....maybe they'll sleep in a bit tomorrow?!

As I sit here typing I am still just not feeling right. My legs are sore, it doesn't seem as though my breathing is quite right, and I simply don't feel fresh. I don't know what it is. On a totally separate note, I really need to get a trainer for my bike. It would make life some much easier for me to just be able to hop on it after getting the girls to bed and pedal away for an hour or two. That is on my list of things to get before the summer is over.

It is time to get up and go to bed. Sleep is at a premium and with a race on Sunday I want to be as fresh as possible. Ciao!

No comments: