Sunday, July 5, 2009

Coming Up Short

Today was a bit of a disappointing day in that I didn't come close to meeting my training goals. I was supposed to put in 40 miles on the bike and then do a 3 mile run off. I ended up doing 5 miles on the bike, heading home to fix the rubbing sound I was hearing as I was climbing a hill (tire against the down tube which meant backing out the drop-out screws about 2mm), then heading out for another 15 miles before I realized that I had to get back home to take care of some family matters.

In hindsight I probably should have started my bike ride about an hour earlier but some recent family issues have necessitated me putting training second. I probably could have headed out and put in another 20 miles on the bike tonight starting at 9pm, but I just wasn't up for riding at night, especially on a Sunday night of a holiday weekend. Yes, I fear the drunk driver! I probably could have run the three miles, but the whole point of those three miles was to get conditioned for running immediately following a bike ride. They seemed pointless when I really started to think about it.

I don't know, I suppose that things will get a bit back to normal by next weekend, at least I hope they will. Of course the fact that my girls have spent the past four days with their grandparents should have freed up more time for training, but that hasn't been the case. They return tomorrow and the quest to find training time will resume again. In case I need to clarify here, I have missed my daughters dearly and I can't wait to spend tomorrow afternoon with them at the pool. It is just a fact of life that I am always torn between trying to be a good father and trying to train hard to be in the best shape possible. It seems to be a battle that I face daily and that I can't seem to win.

So, to sum up my training day:
Bike - 20 miles - 1:06; 18.2 mph average
- Speed was a bit slow, probably still feeling my 2,000 yd swim and 7.6 mile run from yesterday.

The upcoming week:
I am going to have a couple nights of 2,000+ yds in the fish tank and some moderate runs in which I am going to try and fit in one speed work out or possibly a hill work out. I will have to get on the bike at some point as well, I just don't know when. Oh, I also have a visit to my sports doc tomorrow to have my groin worked on (pulled it playing soccer six weeks ago) as well as my back (will explain in the near future). As for now it is off to bed and to try and catch up on some sleep until the crazies come home tomorrow.

No comments: